A beautiful, colourful fish, the eastern blue devil fish (also known as the blue-tipped long fin or the Bleeker’s blue devil fish) is rather shy. Males will defend their home caves, ledges and overhangs where they hang out in the hopes of attracting females while they keep rival males at bay.
Blue devil fish are most active at night, so you’re more likely to see them during our night dives in shallow waters of less than 20 metres (although we’ve seen them at greater depths too!)
Awesome Sydney dives
You might not see blue devil fish on everyone of our Sydney dives, but you will encounter many of their spectacular neighbours!
Dive with sharks in Sydney
Sydney shark dives are awesome. Join us as we dive Sydney’s top shark diving spots.
Quick facts on the eastern blue devil fish
- Blue devil fish sport a lovely blue and white stripe pattern across their body to complement their blue spotted head. They have blue dorsal and anal fins and yellow tail fin, base and pectoral fins. They’re a rather spectacular looking fish.
- You won’t see juveniles. They’ll be hiding at the back of very narrow crevices.
- Breeding season is between October and March.
- Blue Devil Fish lay clumps of eggs that you will find glued to the underside of caves or ledges.
- 4mm long larvae will hatch from the eggs and swim for cover in the surrounding reef where they’ll grow to about 10mm.
- Blue devil fish are protected in NSW. It is illegal to take them as they are low in abundance and under threat due to their popularity on the aquarium trade.
Sydney Dive Sites
Learn more about our best dive sites.
Pick Up Locations
Check out our list pick up locations in Sydney.
Sydney Scuba Dive Costings
All prices include GST. Prices are per person.
Single Dive $69.00
Single Night Dive $69.00
TSS Currajong Night Dive $120.00
Double Boat Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 1 Dive (40-51m) $99.00
Tec 1 Dive + 1 Recreational Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 2 Dive (51-78m) $150.00
Tec 2 “Peak” Dive $950 (full boat rate. max 6 divers)
Ex – HMAS Adelaide Double Dive $120.00
Freediving $220.00ph (10pax max)
Whale Watching $65.00
Charter Rate $POA
Freediver $120.00 pp
I had an awesome couple of dives on the Ex-HMAS Adelaide for my 100th dive. It was an amazing experience thanks to Jason’s excellent boat and service, his detailed briefing really helped me navigate the ship wreck.
We dive regularly with Jason. He really looks after us. Great diving. Love the boat. Dives run on time which let’s us get to work after our dives.
I’ve chartered Sydney Dive Charters for my company’s annual Christmas party and we had a great time, the boat is great and Jason really went out of his way to accommodate our needs. I will definitely be back on board this year!
“I’ve been diving with Jason aboard Sydney Dive Charters dive boat for nearly 3 years now and I keep coming back. I’ve had the pleasure of exploring and enjoying some of the best technical wrecks in the Sydney Region. The boat makes for comfortable, easy diving – which when coupled with Jason’s local knowledge provides a complete service. There is nothing better than diving on a boat when you know the skipper is first and foremost a diver himself”