Also known as the spotted rainbowfish or the white-spotted rainbowfish, the crimson-banded wrasse is a shy, colourful fish active during the daytime. As such, larger specimens will be on the menu with anglers fishing off the rocks.
We’ll encounter them in our dives zipping in and out of holes and crevices looking for an easy meal.
Awesome Sydney dives
See the crimson-banded wrasse on a great Sydney scuba dive with us!
Dive with sharks in Sydney
Sydney shark dives are awesome. Join us as we dive Sydney’s top shark diving spots.
Quick facts on the crimson-banded wrasse
- Males feature a bright red dorsal and anal fin, whilst female sport a brown-orange to reddish hue with white spots sprinkled along its sides. The juvenile crimson-banded wrasse is greenish-brown with some white spots on the side.
- Larger wrasse hide in crevices whilst the juveniles hide under the sand at the bottom.
- Wrasse are active during the day and rest at night.
- You’ll find these fish in small groups near coastal shelves hiding in and out of crevices.
- Using their small sharp teeth, crimson-banded wrasse munch on snails, worms, crabs, shrimp and fish eggs.
Sydney Dive Sites
Learn more about our best dive sites.
Pick Up Locations
Check out our list pick up locations in Sydney.
Sydney Scuba Dive Costings
All prices include GST. Prices are per person.
Single Dive $69.00
Single Night Dive $69.00
TSS Currajong Night Dive $120.00
Double Boat Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 1 Dive (40-51m) $99.00
Tec 1 Dive + 1 Recreational Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 2 Dive (51-78m) $150.00
Tec 2 “Peak” Dive $950 (full boat rate. max 6 divers)
Ex – HMAS Adelaide Double Dive $120.00
Freediving $220.00ph (10pax max)
Whale Watching $65.00
Charter Rate $POA
Freediver $120.00 pp
I had an awesome couple of dives on the Ex-HMAS Adelaide for my 100th dive. It was an amazing experience thanks to Jason’s excellent boat and service, his detailed briefing really helped me navigate the ship wreck.
We dive regularly with Jason. He really looks after us. Great diving. Love the boat. Dives run on time which let’s us get to work after our dives.
I’ve chartered Sydney Dive Charters for my company’s annual Christmas party and we had a great time, the boat is great and Jason really went out of his way to accommodate our needs. I will definitely be back on board this year!
“I’ve been diving with Jason aboard Sydney Dive Charters dive boat for nearly 3 years now and I keep coming back. I’ve had the pleasure of exploring and enjoying some of the best technical wrecks in the Sydney Region. The boat makes for comfortable, easy diving – which when coupled with Jason’s local knowledge provides a complete service. There is nothing better than diving on a boat when you know the skipper is first and foremost a diver himself”