Pentaceropsis recurvirostris (long snout boarfish)
Not the prettiest of Sydney underwater residents, the lnong snout boarfish (also known by restaurateurs as “duckfish”) is an odd-looking bottom feeder. Slow and territorial, it feeds on worms, small crustaceans and invertebrates using its long-billed snout.
Awesome Sydney dives
Boarfish aren’t commonly seen on our Sydney dives, but you will see many of their underwater friends!
Dive with sharks in Sydney
Sydney shark dives are awesome. Join us as we dive Sydney’s top shark diving spots.
Quick facts on the boarfish
- These territorial fish will be found at depths ranging from 20 metres to 200 metres.
- Boarfish feature strong spines and body plates.
- You’ll find the longsnout boarfish around the Sydney reefs we dive regularly. They’ll be drifting around guarding their territory (even from divers!)
- They are susceptible to spearfishing as they won’t shy away when you find yourself trespassing on their turf.
- If you’re looking to fish them, why not consider sustainable alternatives to the fast-disappearing boarfish. These include leatherjackets, flatheads and dory.
Sydney Dive Sites
Learn more about our best dive sites.
Pick Up Locations
Check out our list pick up locations in Sydney.
Sydney Scuba Dive Costings
All prices include GST. Prices are per person.
Single Dive $69.00
Single Night Dive $69.00
TSS Currajong Night Dive $120.00
Double Boat Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 1 Dive (40-51m) $99.00
Tec 1 Dive + 1 Recreational Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 2 Dive (51-78m) $150.00
Tec 2 “Peak” Dive $950 (full boat rate. max 6 divers)
Ex – HMAS Adelaide Double Dive $120.00
Freediving $220.00ph (10pax max)
Whale Watching $65.00
Charter Rate $POA
Freediver $120.00 pp
I had an awesome couple of dives on the Ex-HMAS Adelaide for my 100th dive. It was an amazing experience thanks to Jason’s excellent boat and service, his detailed briefing really helped me navigate the ship wreck.
We dive regularly with Jason. He really looks after us. Great diving. Love the boat. Dives run on time which let’s us get to work after our dives.
I’ve chartered Sydney Dive Charters for my company’s annual Christmas party and we had a great time, the boat is great and Jason really went out of his way to accommodate our needs. I will definitely be back on board this year!
“I’ve been diving with Jason aboard Sydney Dive Charters dive boat for nearly 3 years now and I keep coming back. I’ve had the pleasure of exploring and enjoying some of the best technical wrecks in the Sydney Region. The boat makes for comfortable, easy diving – which when coupled with Jason’s local knowledge provides a complete service. There is nothing better than diving on a boat when you know the skipper is first and foremost a diver himself”