Scientific name: Phyllopteryx taeniolatus
The bigger and more spectacular relative of the sea horse, weedy seadragons are a protected marine species encountered on many of our dives off the coast of Sydney. On some of our Sydney dive sites we commonly see up to 6 weddies on a single dive.
Weedy seadragons on display
Beautiful yet shy, weedy seadragons are easy to see as they glide on the sea floor in spite of their stunning camouflage. Get too close and they’ll retreat to the safety of the kelp beds they call home.
See the weedies on your next dive with us!
The best way to see the weedy seadragons is to join us on a Sydney dive. Check out our boat calendar to see where we’re going next!
Quick facts about weedy seadragons
- A relative of sea horses
- Found along Australia’s south and east coast
- A protected species deemed “near threatened”
- Weedies do not typically move much during their life. They mostly hang around their home reef.
- Scientists speculate that due to global warming and the warming of the seas, weedy seadragons will migrate south towards cooler waters (so take your opportunity now to see them on our Sydney dives.)
- These same scientists are now using the same technology as NASA to photograph and identify weedy seadragons
- Slurp their food using their snout like a drinking straw
- Male weedy seadragons are known to have two births per season. They carry the eggs on their tails (see above photo.)
- Can reach 45cm in length
- Have been known to live up to 9 years (in captivity)
- Adults sport a reddish coat with yellow and purple markings
- Camouflaged with leaf-like appendages to blend in with kelp and short spines for protection (although they have no known predators.)
Sydney Dive Sites
Learn more about our best dive sites.
Pick Up Locations
Check out our list pick up locations in Sydney.
Sydney Scuba Dive Costings
All prices include GST. Prices are per person.
Single Dive $69.00
Single Night Dive $69.00
TSS Currajong Night Dive $120.00
Double Boat Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 1 Dive (40-51m) $99.00
Tec 1 Dive + 1 Recreational Dive $120.00
Technical Tec 2 Dive (51-78m) $150.00
Tec 2 “Peak” Dive $950 (full boat rate. max 6 divers)
Ex – HMAS Adelaide Double Dive $120.00
Freediving $220.00ph (10pax max)
Whale Watching $65.00
Charter Rate $POA
Freediver $120.00 pp
I had an awesome couple of dives on the Ex-HMAS Adelaide for my 100th dive. It was an amazing experience thanks to Jason’s excellent boat and service, his detailed briefing really helped me navigate the ship wreck.
We dive regularly with Jason. He really looks after us. Great diving. Love the boat. Dives run on time which let’s us get to work after our dives.
I’ve chartered Sydney Dive Charters for my company’s annual Christmas party and we had a great time, the boat is great and Jason really went out of his way to accommodate our needs. I will definitely be back on board this year!
“I’ve been diving with Jason aboard Sydney Dive Charters dive boat for nearly 3 years now and I keep coming back. I’ve had the pleasure of exploring and enjoying some of the best technical wrecks in the Sydney Region. The boat makes for comfortable, easy diving – which when coupled with Jason’s local knowledge provides a complete service. There is nothing better than diving on a boat when you know the skipper is first and foremost a diver himself”
Sydney Dive Charters